5 Acne Treatments to Rejuvenate Your Skin

  • Anita
  • October 3, 2017
  • 0

Acne is a common skin and occurs when pores in a person’s skin clogs as a result of dead skin cells not rising to the surface when the body sheds them. Acne is very common throughout a person’s teenage years but it can be extremely embarrassing and inconvenient if it is rampant or lasts well into someone’s adult years. For reasons such as these it may be beneficial for someone to visit a dermatologist to address an acne issue especially if home remedies prove to be ineffective. There are many steps that a dermatologist can take to rid your body of acne and give you the confidence you deserve.

1. Topical medications

Topical medications are usually the next step that a dermatologist will try if home remedies do not clear up acne. These acne medications work by reducing the oils that trap dead skins cells and keep them from being shed. They also reduce inflammation and help prevent scarring. There are three common types of topical medications used to treat acne. Retinoids come in cream, gel, and lotion form and is applied daily as a person’s skin becomes used to it. It works by plugging the skin’s hair follicles that harbour backteria. Antibiotics kill skin bacteria and reduce inflammation. Dapzone is a gel that is usually combined with a retinoid and also kills bacteria and reduces inflammation.

2. Isotretinoin

When topical medications do not work in clearing up acne, a dermatologist will then move to oral medications. Isotretinoin, better known as Accutane, is a prescription for severe acne and is considered a very effective method to treat all forms of acne. It works by reducing the size of the oil glands in the body so less is produced which in turn slows bacteria growth and reduces inflammation. It is estimated that 70% of people that have been treated with isotretinoin have experienced great results, having no ongoing issues with acne. The other 30% have had continuous issues with acne but nowhere near as severe as before treatment.

3. Drainage & extraction

Sometimes when medications are not efficient in clearing up acne, a dermatologist may choose to physically drain or extract acne instead of continuing topical or oral medications that are not helping. The dermatologist will use special tools to remove blackheads and whiteheads that prove to be resistant to other forms of treatment. While this process is effective, it can lead to scarring in some people.

4. Chemical Peels

Chemical peels to treat acne are another effective way to treat the condition when used in conjunction with other treatments. In this process, glycolic acid is applied and removes the top layer of skin, often leaving the affected area clear and healthy-looking. Glycolic acid will also dissolve the dead skin and bacteria clogging the pores that lead to acne in the first place. This treatment is not recommended unless performed by a dermatologist as straight glycolic acid can lead to serious burns to areas where it is applied. Chemicals peels have also proven to be effective in reducing scarring caused by excessive acne.

5. Light therapy

A variety of light therapies have been used to treat acne as it targets the bacteria that causes the condition but is another treatment that needs to be used in conjunction with medication. There are two types of light therapy. Blue light therapy penetrates the skin’s hair follicles that hold bacteria and eventually cause acne. Red light therapy helps reduce inflammation associated with acne. Because both types of lights treat different factors that cause acne and both may need to be addressed, blue and red lights are often used together during light therapy.

Previous «
Next »

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *